Welcome to the Countdown to STS-135

In a few days, we will witness the final launch in the space shuttle program. This is a daily series of posts that recount the space program and how I experienced it. If you are new to this blog, start from the bottom (first post) and work up.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Welcome to the Countdown to STS-135 - The last Shuttle Launch

The last space shuttle launches in 28 days. I am taking my kids to try to watch it, pending potential delays, etc.  Some of us lived through the space program, others grew up in different phases, and many of you, like my kids, never remember a time that space shuttles didn’t go back and forth to space. In either case, the space program was part the history you have witnessed.  That is changing forever in a few weeks.

In advance of going to watch the last launch, I have been writing a series of short daily tidbits about the history of the space program for my family. I plan on taking this through the various phases of the program that landed men on the moon and then the shuttle and space station program. As I am doing this, I am relating it to what else was going on and the general evolution of the technology we take for granted. I thought others may be interested in this series.
I started about a week ago. I am posting the past segments, today in order to catch up. Feel free to pass this link on, if you think your own family or friends would enjoy any of it.

-Wray

No comments:

Post a Comment